If you are dealing with a pending workers’ compensation claim, you can quickly look up coverage information through the California Workers' Compensation Coverage Inquiry website. Visit https://www.caworkcompcoverage.com to find the name of an insurer that wrote a California workers' compensation insurance policy for a specific employer on a specific date within the last 5 years.
Here’s some tips to keep in mind while performing your coverage information search:
- You will need to know the employer’s name or Federal Employer Identification Number (FEIN) before you begin your search. The WCIRB does not have FEINs for all employers, so searches based solely on FEINs may not return any results. If you do not receive your desired result when searching by FEIN, try searching again using the employer's name.
- If your initial search using the employer’s name returns no results or is not the employer you are searching for, you may need to: •broaden your search by simplifying keywords such as typing in the word “auto” instead of “automobile.”
- narrow your search by trying different keyword combinations in both the employer’s name and street address fields. You can also use the asterisk (*) wildcard search to filter your results even further.
- The website provides coverage information for a specific date. It does not show results within a date range.
- Search results are based on policy data reported to the WCIRB, and may not reflect coverage information changes that have occurred within the last ninety (90) days. Any coverage information obtained from the website should be verified with the employer or insurer.
- Only privately insured coverage information is shown on the website. Information about employers that may be legally exempt from workers’ compensation insurance requirements, such as a sole proprietor who has no employees or an employer that is legally self-insured, are not available on the website. To obtain information about self-insured employers, contact the California Office of Self-Insurance Plans.
- If you are looking for the insurer’s contact information, you can use the Insurance Company Profile tool in the Consumer section of the California Department of Insurance website for help.
For more California Workers' Compensation Coverage Inquiry website search tips, refer to the “Notes Regarding Your Search” section on the Policyholder Search page of the website.
Insurers, employers, injured workers, attorneys and medical providers who are involved in a pending workers’ compensation claim and are unable to find coverage information, may fill out a Coverage Research Service Request available in the Products and Services section of WCIRB.com.
Claims Coverage Research on WCIRB Connect®
WCIRB Connect offers a Claims Coverage Research feature that gives authorized insurer claims adjusters access to detailed coverage information for policies going back to 1974. For more information on this service, visit the WCIRB Connect page on WCIRB.com.
Suggest a Topic
If you have a topic that you would like covered in a future News and Notes, email [email protected].