Policyholder Ombudsman – Request for Assistance

Before you file a request for assistance, contact your insurance company, agent or broker to resolve the issue(s) directly. If necessary, you may also contact the WCIRB. If you do not receive a satisfactory response, use this form to request assistance from the Policyholder Ombudsman. Fill in the information below and click submit to send the request. Agents, brokers and insurers should contact the WCIRB Contact Center by calling 888.CA.WCIRB (888.229.2472).

Submitting Supporting Documentation

If you have supporting documentation, please use the web form below to attach electronic files. You may send hard copies of files to:

Workers' Compensation Insurance Rating Bureau of California
1901 Harrison Street, 17th Floor
Oakland, CA 94612
Attn: Policyholder Ombudsman