The Actuarial Committee advises the Governing Committee with respect to pure premium rates. In addition, the committee conducts research, reviews rating values contained in the Experience Rating Plan, reviews methodologies used in developing the rating values reflected in the WCIRB's advisory rating plans, and provides guidance on the actuarial and research functions performed by the WCIRB. The Actuarial Committee is comprised of seven actuaries: eight actuaries appointed by the president of the WCIRB and one actuary representing the public members of the Governing Committee. In addition, actuaries representing the California Department of Insurance attend and participate in Actuarial Committee meetings. Generally, the committee meets once per quarter but may meet more frequently if necessary.
The Committee's primary functions are to:
- Advise the Governing Committee with respect to pure premium rates
- Conduct basic research in ratemaking methodologies and procedures
- Review the rating values contained in the Experience Rating Plan
- Review the methodologies used in developing the rating values reflected in the WCIRB's advisory rating plans
- Provide guidance on the actuarial and research functions performed by the WCIRB
Joanne Ottone, Berkshire Hathaway Homestate Companies
Doug Zearfoss, Employers Insurance Group
James Gebhard, Farmers Insurance Group of Companies
Carolyn Bergh, Hartford Insurance Company
Jill Petker, Liberty Mutual Group
Mark Priven, Representing the Public Members of the Governing Committee
Kate Smith, State Compensation Insurance Fund
Chris Westermeyer, Travelers
Laura Carstensen, Zurich North America
Future meeting dates of the Actuarial Committee are shown below.
- Wednesday, August 2, 2017
- Tuesday September 5, 2017
- Wednesday, December 6, 2017
Committee Meeting Documents
View agendas, minutes and other material related to the Actuarial Committee meetings in the Committee Documents section under Publications and Filiings.