STEEL MAKING OR PROCESSING
This classification applies to the reduction or casting of metal and the subsequent rolling or rerolling of hot or cold steel to produce steel products, including but not limited to plate, sheet, rod, tube, pipe or coil stock. Employers engaged in rolling or drawing metal shall be classified as follows:
- Employers engaged in the heating and rolling of metal stock shall be classified as 3018.
- Employers engaged in the rerolling of metal stock shall be classified as 3018 if 50% or more of the metal stock used is #9 gauge or heavier.
- Employers engaged in the rerolling of cold metal stock shall be classified as 3400, Metal Goods Mfg., if more than 50% of the metal stock used is lighter than #9 gauge.
- Employers engaged in the drawing of metal to produce rod stock 1/2" in diameter or larger shall be classified as 3018.
- Employers engaged in the drawing of metal to produce wire or rod stock less than 1/2" in diameter shall be classified as 3241, Wire, Wire Rope or Wire Cable Mfg.
The manufacture of nonferrous extruded metal forms shall be classified as 3022, Pipe, Tube or Extrusion Mfg.
The fabrication of miscellaneous plate steel products or metal tanks when more than 50% of the metal used is #9 gauge or heavier shall be classified as 3620(2), Plate Steel Products Fabrication.
|Shown below is the previously published phraseology and footnote||Effective Date|
Employers exclusively engaged in rolling metal shall be classified in accordance with the following guides:
Wire drawing or coke manufacturing shall be separately classified.
The Classification Search was developed by the WCIRB for your convenience to help you identify Standard Classifications based on keywords or a classification code. However, you cannot rely solely on the Classification Search and must make an independent assessment when determining the appropriate classification(s) assignable to a risk in accordance with the USRP.