Skip to Content

Online Services

Print page

Coverage Research

Coverage Inquiry Website

The California Workers' Compensation Coverage Inquiry website is a service created by the WCIRB that you can use to identify the insurer that wrote a California workers' compensation insurance policy for a specific employer on a specific date within the last 5 years. To use this service, go to

WCIRB Connect® Insurer Claims Adjusters

The Claims Coverage Research feature of WCIRB Connect provides insurer claims adjusters immediate access to detailed coverage information for policies dating back to 1996. Read more about this feature>

Online Coverage Research for Authorized Government Agencies through WCIRB Connect

Government agencies authorized to receive workers’ compensation coverage information pursuant to California Insurance Code Sections 11752.5 et. seq. and 1877 et. seq., can obtain online access to workers’ compensation coverage information through WCIRB Connect. Users authorized by the government agency will be issued a WCIRB Connect User ID and password by the WCIRB after completion of Form 401, Coverage Search - Government Users which will allow them access to WCIRB Connect.

Coverage Research Service

In addition to providing self-service coverage research capabilities to the public via the Coverage Inquiry website and for insurer claims adjusters and government agencies through WCIRB Connect, the WCIRB provides coverage research service to an insurer, employer, injured worker, licensed health care provider or an attorney involved in a pending workers' compensation claim. To make a coverage research request, the requesting party must (1) certify that he/she is entitled to receive the coverage information, that the information will be used solely in connection with the pending workers' compensation claim, and that the information will not be otherwise published, distributed or released to third parties and (2) complete and submit Form 807 - Coverage Research Service Request. The form may also be used for employers requesting their own coverage information at any time.

Form Requirements

The information requested on the form is required for the WCIRB to process a request for coverage information when there is a pending claim. This includes (1) names of the parties of the pending workers’ compensation claim, (2) date of injury, (3) claim number (required on insurer requests), (4) WCAB number (if assigned and known), (5) the employer for which the information is requested, (6) the employer's address, and (7) the year(s) of coverage needed.

Fee for Coverage Research Service

Effective August 1, 2017,  the fee for WCIRB coverage research services is:

  • $20 per employer, per coverage year for 1996 through the present
  • $40 per employer, per coverage year for 1958 through 1995.

Fees are nonrefundable regardless of the outcome of the research. The WCIRB requires advance payment by check for all coverage research requests. Checks should be made payable to "WCIRB". WCIRB members may request to be billed by checking the appropriate box in the payment section of the form.

If you are an injured worker, you may obtain coverage research information without charge. For additional information, see Form 807 - Coverage Research Service Request form or contact WCIRB Customer Service to inquire about this service.